Wendell Potter is an author, media analyst and corporate watchdog. After a 20-year career as a corporate public relations executive, Mr. Potter left his job as head of communications for CIGNA, one of the nation’s largest health insurers, to work for meaningful health care reform and became a vocal critic of insurance company abuses.
In widely-covered testimony before the Senate Commerce, Science and Technology Committee, he provided a window into health insurer internal practices, disclosing how insurance companies—as part of their efforts to boost profits—have engaged in practices that have resulted in millions of Americans being forced into the ranks of the uninsured. Mr. Potter also described how the insurance industry has developed and implemented strategic communications plans, based on deceptive public relations and advertising and lobbying efforts, to defeat or weaken reform initiatives.
Mr. Potter is now a senior analyst at the Center for Public Integrity and a senior fellow on health care at the Center for Media and Democracy. A former Washington correspondent for Scripps-Howard newpapers, he covered Congress, the White House and Supreme Court and wrote a weekly political column.
He is the author of "Deadly Spin: An Insurance Company Insider Speaks Out on How Corporate PR Is Killing Health Care and Deceiving Americans."
Wendell Potter's posts at The Winning Words Project:
- How Sarah Palin's Irresponsible Rhetoric Prevented Medicare Savings
- The Country You Love Is Being Lied Into Going Bankrupt And You Should Be Really Angry About That
- 6.6 Million Reasons Big Insurance Wants You To Believe A Myth
- Insurers Launch Propaganda Campaign to Scare You Away From Important Patient Protection Act Provisions
- A Nice Little Gift From The Patient Protection Act Directly To You
- Truth Squad Of 'Doctors for America' Heading To Tampa to Set the Record Straight on Health Care Reform
- Romney's Phony Answers To Tough Health Care Questions